Sunday 22 June 2014

'Private education is unfair', said Alan Bennett last week, stating the bleedin' obvious.  England has a greater variety of school models than any country on earth.  This is good for some, but not for most, and in that sense the system is unfair.

Private schools are often referred to as 'good' schools and state schools mainly 'bad'. In truth, they are all bad, and the real unfairness is that so much potential is squandered by them.

I must add that my argument is centred on schools in the West, especially on British schools.

When girls in Afghanistan demand to be educated, school and education then overlap considerably, if not become synonymous.  But in the West, 'education' has become a class-ridden, divisive, anti-educational business. 

There is now a condition called 'schoolphobia'.  To me, this means the natural reaction of a healthy child to school.  Too many pupils see school as a kind of boring prison.  Indeed, in prison they would have far more rights.

At this point I feel it is worth repeating a story I heard years ago.  Apocryphal or not, it speaks volumes:
A British soldier, captured by the Japanese during World War II, was sent to a prisoner-of-war camp. One day, he saw an old school friend coming through the gates of the camp,  and he yelled to him: 'Humphrey, come on in!  This place is much better than Charterhouse!'
I want to assure readers that gradually my blog will present positive ideas and alternatives, and not just be a weekly rant and rave - unless, of course, readers want that kind of stuff.  Let me know.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the spirit of 'real education' I believe ranting and raving is the driving force behind all positive ideas. We must first define what we find unacceptable and from it solutions to problems will come to mind. So rant away my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a child to be successful in school they must first master being alone. I can't think of pursuit outside of school where solving a problem is forced to be solved alone. I think of the skill and knowledge my little girl has that enables her to jump a horse and at no point has she been forced to learn or be tested alone, or pass an examination and yet she does jump a horse so well. Moreover she smiles the whole time. Can one imagine the same if she had to learn to jump a horse sat at a school desk with pencil and paper.

    ReplyDelete