Sunday 26 October 2014

One of the media's favourite targets is children.  They relish telling us how bad and stupid they are, when, in my experience, most are far from this stereotype. Here is a story that shows just what they are capable of, and how they can help and heal in a way that adults can't.

Years ago, I taught English to a class of 12-13 year olds.  In the class was a boy named Ahmed and he was what was termed an 'elective mute', i.e. he had chosen not to speak since he was 5.  At that age his father died and the shock silenced him, in public anyway.

Halfway through the year I set the class a short presentation, where each boy and girl had to give a 3 minute talk on their favourite place.  I was well aware that Ahmed would not, could not perform the task and so I excused him from it.

On the day of the presentations, a boy named Rizwan stood up to speak - with Ahmed at his side.

Rizwan gave a lively talk about Spain, showing us pictures of the cities and countryside.  He had been there the year before with his family and he obviously loved it. He ended his talk by urging us to visit Spain, with the words:

"And that's why you should all save up and go to......."

He paused and then gestured to Ahmed, who said: "Spain."

His first word in public for 7 years. The class applauded wildly while I held back my tears.  After the lesson, I detained Rizwan and said to him: "What you did today with Ahmed was a beautiful thing to do.  I couldn't have done that - only one of his peers, his friends could, and you did."

Rizwan smiled and replied: "It was ridiculous him not talking.  He just needed a push!"

Little by little Ahmed began to talk to others, until he could confidently read aloud in class.

Children can be cruel and wounding, but, as my story illustrates, they can also be kind and healing.

1 comment:

  1. I see you have added a photo to this post...it seems to be a BBC photo. Do you have permission to use it or is it in the public domain ?

    ReplyDelete