Sunday 21 December 2014

The human rewards of teaching are supposed to offset the pressure, responsibility and relatively low pay of the job.  Fortunately, they do, even within a rotten system.
Occasionally, a pupil will do or say something that makes the whole thing seem worthwhile.  Teachers yearn for these moments.


When I taught English at secondary level, I was keen to improve the pupils' oral skills, so I implemented a 5 minute slot at the end of most lessons, devoted to impromptu speaking.  Each pupil would select a card at random, on which was written a single word, e.g. Money, Television, Music, Food, Cars etc. They then had to speak on the topic for at least one minute, without pausing longer than five seconds.  The more they practised speaking off the cuff, the easier it became and helped increase their self-confidence. The exercise was voluntary, some enjoyed performing, while others feared it.


One boy, Jacob, would attempt the exercise again and again, without much success.  He usually dried up after half a minute.  On one occasion, as he returned to his seat, he looked at me and said:
"I hate doing this, but I want to get better".
I gasped with delight.  This is the kind of comment every teacher wants to hear - an expression of determination and self-motivation, the only worthwhile motivation in human existence.  The 'carrot and stick' approach might be motivating, but it is self-motivation that is the gold key to learning.




I wish my readers a very Merry Christmas, and may 2015 be a splendid year for you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment