Sunday 29 March 2015

The word 'respect' is bandied about thoughtlessly today.  The Oxford English Dictionary defines 'respect' as 'due regard for the feelings and rights of others', but often the words 'respect' and 'fear' become synonymous in people's minds.  It's not only gangsters who equate the two, but also authoritarian parents, too many teachers, and for those in many places of employment.
In reality, respect and fear are opposites.  You can't truly respect someone you fear.  You might envy their power but fear permits no 'due regard for the feelings and rights of others'.


A common cry today is:
"Kids have no respect for teachers anymore!", as if respect for a teacher is a given, but not necessarily for the pupils.  I respect everyone, unless they earn my disrespect with their words or actions.  However, I don't automatically respect particular positions in society.  I never expected my pupils to respect me more than I respected them.
In good schools, mutual respect is endemic.  In bad schools, respect is demanded for some but not others.


The issue of respect is a huge one.  I might return to the topic when the subject of self-respect arises.
The playwright Henrik Ibsen said:
"You cannot properly respect others until you respect yourself"
But that's for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment