Sunday 26 April 2015

With a general election imminent, I was reminded the other day of one of the United States of America's most brilliant and humane politicians, Adlai Stevenson, the type of politician who wouldn't get far today.




Born in1900, Stevenson challenged Eisenhower twice for the presidency, but lost out both times.  After losing in 1952, he remarked in his speech conceding defeat:
"I'm too old to cry and it hurts too much to laugh."
After failing again in 1956, he said:
"I think the American public suspect any politician who has a sense of humour".


He became a well respected man in Washington, and a great admirer of Eleanor Roosevelt, of whom he said:
"She prefers to light candles than curse the darkness."


He was one of the few reasonable voices in Kennedy's Cuban missile crisis, urging restraint when all the hawks were busy promoting military force.  How right Stevenson was.


He made many comments about society, two of which are my favourites - both profoundly true, in my opinion:
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular."
"Power corrupts, but lack of power corrupts absolutely."



No comments:

Post a Comment